Fantomas - Fantômas CD (album) cover

2 stars Edited 10/03/05!

That's actually a series of noises, screams, laughter and short sequences of rhythmic patterns or extreme tough and noisy metal pressed on a CD. In fact I can't quite follow why something like this is that much appreciated by quite a lot of (well admittedly very young) people. This stuff (music?) must have something attractive, but that is obviously not working for me. The only page I can find enjoyable is No. 12 I've got to say. I'm as well far away from saying that this one is a good piece of avant-garde, what it claims to be I guess. I would rather say it's "weird for the sake of weirdness". Although the sounds are constantly changing after a few seconds there is actually very little versatility being offered overall and everything sounds rather arbitrary and without any structure. I'm standing (or sitting) quite helplessly in front of such a piece of art (similar to modern abstract painting) and asking myself: "What the f'k is the artist trying to tell us with that?" I can't rate it higher than with 2 stars, which means: For fans (or specialists) only! Certainly not suitable for everyone!

hdfisch | 2/5 |