The Mars Volta - Frances The Mute CD (album) cover

FRANCES THE MUTE

The Mars Volta

billyshears'67
5 stars Whoa, what a surprise. I loved De-loused when it first came out, but I listened to this about 5 times the day it came out and I was shocked at how different it was. They really pushed the boundaries on this album and I just love this band's ferocity that just bounces out of the speakers. Although the band doesn't like categorizations (who really does), this album will go down as one of the best "prog" albums of this decade, standing in its very own corner.

"Cygnus...Vismund Cygnus" is one of their most consistently awesome songs yet, while "The Widow" isn't much new it's still a good song. "L'via L'viaquez" is full of energy and like most of this album makes you wanna freakout and dance, but chills out during a few salsa interludes. "Miranda, That Ghost Just Isn't Holy Anymore" is pretty chilled out for this album and it has great melodies, in which it serves as a suitable prelude to the total headf**k that is "Cassandra Gemini." I'm not a fan of this song because it's about 32 minutes, I'm a fan of it because I love emotional freakout jams, that this song has. It really washes the flute, saxes, and trumpets really well with this song. This song has also one of the most bodacious hooks in it, that when it occurs you're like "killer." This song has so much to offer and hopefully they'll perform it live.

I was waiting at the door of the local music store the morning this album came out on March 1st, and I wasn't dissappointed. STOP READING THIS REVIEW AND GO BUY THIS, WHOOAAAAAH!!

Peace & take care