Björk - Vespertine CD (album) cover

VESPERTINE

Björk

arcane-beautiful
4 stars This album suprised me, but it also made me a little annoyed as well.

This is one of those albums that falls into the catergory, amazing start, weak ending.

I really meant it, the first 6 songs I was like, "holy crap, this redefining music," then after that I was like, "ok, maybe not so much."

The first 6 songs were so amazing, It had this amazing sound, almost like an ambient orchestra, just flowing like glaciers the whole way through. Bjork really tried to out-Bjork herself, and do what most Icelandic people do...make beautiful music.

You can tell that Bjork really cared for these 6 songs, and the production work is amazing.

The last 6 songs aren't too bad, and could be seen more as "art" pieces, but theys still don't match the first 6, cause they in themselves are "art".

1. Hidden Place - My first ever Bjork song. The video was very creepy. The production is breathtaking. Beautifully arranged. 10/10

2. Cocoon - Beautiful vocal performance. Lovely arrangement and very lo fi. 10/10

3. It's Not Up To You - Beautiful chorus. Great arrangement. Very pretty. 10/10

4. Undo - Very relaxing and cathartic. Very soothing. The build up throughout is epic. 10/10

5. Pagan Poetry - Again, great build up. Simplistic and very arty. 10/10

6. Frosti - A great music box interlude. 9/10

7. Aurora - Nice and flows really well. Almost like a X-mas carol. 9/10

8. An Echo, A Stain - Interesting arrangement. Some nice eerie moments. 8/10

9. Sun In My Mouth - Beautifully arranged. The orchestra parts are amazing. 8/10

10. Heirloom - For some odd reason I can relate to these lyrics...I don't know why I just do. 8/10

11. Harm Of Will - Quite dramatic and eeriely beautiful. 8/10

12. Unison - A nice wee ending. Nice and calm. 9/10

CONCLUSION: The first half, a spectacle of music, second half, not so much. The second half is ok, it's just nothing compared to the first half. The first half is worth the price alone.

arcane-beautiful | 4/5 |