Montecristo - Celebration of Birth CD (album) cover

CELEBRATION OF BIRTH

Montecristo

toroddfuglesteg
2 stars I hate to write reviews like this ones........ ...But it has to be done.

Montecristo hails from Indonesia and they are quite popular in their homeland, I believe. They are well promoted in ProgArchives too and it was a pleasure to interview them for ProgArchives.

Montecristo could had gone down the ethno route which SimakDialogue has done. Instead, Montecristo followed the road to the west. To the middle-west of USA to be more precise. Hence, they play commercial AOR with some hints of Neo-Prog and Prog Metal. The heavy accented vocals is the only hint that this band is not from USA. The vocals is a major weakness of this album. Unfortunate, it is not the only gripe I have with this album. The lack of identity and the unimaginative songs is also a major flaws of this album. I have to confess that I am not a fan of AOR at all. But this is bad AOR too.

There are a couple of decent tracks and melodies here which saves this album from being a turkey. Montecristo is rather good when they drags themselves over towards Neo-Prog. But that is not often enough. This is their debut album though and I hope their new album will be better than this rather meek effort. I sincerely hope so. If AOR is your thing, check out this album. If not, buy a real turkey dinner instead.

2 stars (barely)