James Labrie - Elements Of Persuasion CD (album) cover

James Labrie

3 stars The first time I see this album at Aquarius Pondok Indah, a local CD store in Jakarta, I put a high expectation on it. But after the first spin, a curious thought comes in mind. I don't understand why LaBrie creates an album which has similarity to Dream Theater's "Train of Thought". No, not that I said this is a bad album. "Elements of Persuasion" is a great album and also very heavy. Lots of heavy guitar riffs (Sadly, it is too Petrucci-ish. But Marco Sfogli is the future guitar hero, anyway! - he's 17 now) and blastering thunders of drum. There are also a couple of slower songs, which are nice, indeed. But still, I don't impressed very much with this album. His Mullmuzzler projects and his role in Frameshift's "Unweaving The Rainbow" are much much more interesting. If you are looking for "the extension of" DT album, you'll find it here. If you miss LaBrie's style in Frameshift or Ayreon, this album absolutely is not your cup of tea. You can figure it out by yourself.

Jakarta, 25th May 2005.