Steve Hackett - Voyage Of The Acolyte CD (album) cover

VOYAGE OF THE ACOLYTE

Steve Hackett

Theriver
2 stars Who will enjoy this album?

Genesis and Steve Hackett fans only

What do we have here?

The album does start really well. "Ace of Wands" is a fantastic prog instrumental, a prodigious musical rollercoaster but alas nothing later in the album gets close to the qualities of this track. The main weakness of the album is the vocals. Hackett voice has been criticized a lot later in his career album but his vocals on "The Hermit" are really, really weak if not terrible. The track is not even saved by a nice atmospheric ending. Phil Collins on "Star of Sirius" performs his worst vocals performance I ever heard in his career. The last track "Shadow of the Hierophant" sung (well) by Sally Oldfield is too long to my taste and feels like different pieces of music with no relation put together. "A Tower Struck Down" is an heavy and repetitive instrumental, lacks of any melody while the song before "Hands of the Priestess" is melodically too simple, the flute seems scholar and the all track lacks of feeling and get very quickly boring.

Why I rate it 2 stars:

I had high expectations for this album, sadly they did not got confirmed. "Voyage of an Acolyte" for me remains a highly overrated. Something seems missing: magic...soul ...I don't know eactly what but it does not work. If it was not for "Ace of Wands", I would give the album one star.

Theriver | 2/5 |