Odyssice - Silence CD (album) cover

SILENCE

Odyssice

Bonnek
Prog Metal Team
3 stars This band picks up a 70s tradition of Dutch symphonic instrumental Prog, following in the footsteps of Trace and Finch so to speak. I must admit I'm not the biggest supporter of that scene. But I can't help it, I'm Belgian.

Kidding aside, this particular release from Odyssice manages to overcome the misgivings I usually have. They bring bright and mellow music but they make it work with their sweet sad melodies and nostalgic 80's sound with the big lush keyboards. The band delivers their compositions with well-crafted melodies and splendid lead guitar work that makes us almost forget Andy Latimer.

Well, not really 'forget' Latimer, rather 'remember', as this music is a tribute to the instrumentals from 1979-1984 Camel, reminding us of tracks like Pressure Points, Sasquatch, Ice, Drafted-Docks and so on. And take it from a skeptic, they do this style with so much skill and feeling that I am almost tempted to rate this as an excellent album.

Silence is a gorgeous album when I'm in the mood to dream along with romantic instrumental rock music. However, for me, a 4 star rating comes with a need for a more personal sound then the one band tribute that Odyssice does. But in the end, they do it very well and I can heartily recommend this album if you just want to enjoy good symphonic songwriting and execution. 3.5 stars.

Bonnek | 3/5 |