Whirling - Faceless Phenomena CD (album) cover

FACELESS PHENOMENA

Whirling

Experimental/Post Metal

UMUR
4 stars Faceless Phenomena is the debut full-length studio album by Swedish avant garde rock/ metal act Whirling. The album was released in February 2010 by Eisenwald. The band is a three-piece that play basic rock/ metal instrumentation of guitar, bass and drums. There are a very limited use of keyboards on the album too.

The music on the album is in the avant garde metal/ black metal vein of Ved Buens Ende, Virus, Kailash, Apocryphal Voice and their ilk ( all influenced greatly by the dark/ bleak rockers in acts like Joy Division, Bauhaus and Holy Toy). Twisted dissonant rock/ metal riffing, monotone depressive vocals, the occasional black metal outburst/ section and a raspy vocal delivery by guest vocalist P. Gustafsson could be a way to describe the music. If you know the genre you wont find Faceless Phenomena surprising, but its certainly well composed, well played and very entertaining. The songs are also pretty varied for the genre and the band generally have a lot of creative ideas.

The production suits the music very well. Its dark and has enough grit and distortion to sound authentic. Music like this would die with a polished clean production.

Faceless Phenomena is a great debut album by Whirling and while I know some people will shout words like "clone" and "plagarism" at the album, Im a sucker for this kind of music, so I can forgive Whirling and their not so original style of music. The quality of the music is high though, so its not only my preference for the genre that leads me to rewarding the album with a 3.5 - 4 star rating. But of course youre welcome to substract a half star if you feel Im a bit too much in fanboy mode. My personal opinion about the album aside, I still find Faceless Phenomena highly recommendable to fans of any of the above mentioned acts.

UMUR | 4/5 |