Dirge - Wings of Lead Over Dormant Seas CD (album) cover

Experimental/Post Metal

3 stars My copy of Dirge's "Wings of Lead Over Dormant Seas" was an almost random pick from the discount racks of the heavy metal section at a local CD shop. Normally I would first consult ProgArchives before purchasing an unknown artist but I liked the cover and the label "Equilibre Music" suggested a more melodic sound which I prefer.

ProgArchives describes Dirge as "industrial-metal genre", definitely not my preference. Was I disappointed? No!

Wings of Lead Over Dormant Seas encompasses some very interesting soundscapes, although this is not the stuff for light listening.

Full of distorted guitar and drone sounds and sparse vocals this music covers a range of tempos and at times is almost ambient (or least ambient for an industrial work shop). Repetitive without becoming boring.

This is a double CD (over 120 minutes) with side two taken up entirely by the stand out title track.

Recommended for those who are prepared to brave something different. Good, but non- essential

3 stars