Yes - Yes CD (album) cover

Frankie Flowers
3 stars This is quite a decent debut and deserves at least three stars but I don't think it's essential Yes music because they would later develop thier sound more. Having said that there are still lots of strong moments by this great bunch of young musicians.

"Beyond And Before" kicks things off to an enjoyable start. The vocal harmonies are quite uplifting, reminding me very much of the Byrds. The following track "I See You" is actually a cover by the Byrds and a brilliant cover too. The drumming is nice and diverse, there's loads of great guitar and bass moments too. "Yesterday And Today" and "Sweetness" are nice floating ballads. I'll agree that there are noticable Beatles influences in many songs. The organ is strong on tracks like "Looking Around" (one favourite of mine) and "Harold Land". "Every Little Thing" is also a great cover. The ending song "Survival" is also good.

This was a very bold start for Yes. There are plenty of interesting moments on here. I often thought the music also sounds slightly psychedelic and quite good for it's time. If you like some late-sixties rock music you'd probably like this album.

Frankie Flowers | 3/5 |