Rush - Signals CD (album) cover

SIGNALS

Rush

Trafficdogg
4 stars This is by far my favorite effort from RUSH. I'm not sure if it's the material itself, stellar as it is, or if it's the quality of production. Whatever the reason, I find it to be a compelling and powerful album. Right from the start with "Subdivisions" it is clear you're in for a treat. It seems as if Geddy Lee's voice has finally matured and becomes a true asset to the music, perhaps for the first time.

After the opening track comes "Analog Kid" which is as good a Rush song as any, but the 3rd track,"Chemistry" is where the CD really takes flight for me. The richness of the keyboards combined with the depth of Neal Peart's bass drum is mesmerizing. Alex Lifeson's guitar comes to life here as well and the trio seem to be in lock - step in a way I personally had waited for, for quite some time. It's a definate improvement over MOVING PICTURES which was the first time the band successfully moved away from the edgier, guitar driven music of their past, and headed toward a more sonic, atmospheric sound. SIGNALS accomplished this with style and grace.

"Digital Man" has one of the best openings to a song I've ever heard, with Peart's mini solo that sets the pace right away.

In short, purists may judge this album as the beginning of the end of greatness for Rush (short compositions and what not) but I prefer to think it was the first album where the boys achieved a true, full sound that stands the test of time. In my mind Rush has never been more powerful than on SIGNALS. Go buy it.

Trafficdogg | 4/5 |