Electric Light Orchestra - Secret Messages CD (album) cover

SECRET MESSAGES

Electric Light Orchestra

Steven Brodziak
4 stars Electric Light Orchestra "Secret Messages" 1983

While in boot camp, I bought 2 cassette tapes, one of which was Secret Msgs. Besides having a naked statue on the front I adored E.L.O. I listened to this album every night.

1. Secret Messages 4:44. What a wonderful ELO beginning, reverse dialogue and a whispering "secret messages" solid drums then guitars take over with a Morse code type key. The production of this is excellent with Lynne's vocals, almost hypnotic. This brings you into the feel of the album which then takes a Parson's flow into the next track?.

2. Loser Gone Wild 5:26. Muted trumpet in a jazzy style "I don't mind if violins don't play, I won't listen to them anyway, I don't care what people say, some things just can't be arranged", I think a profound statement from Lynne considering he had fired his string section.

3. Bluebird 4:06. My favorite on this album. A strong feel good entrance after a somber closing from "Loser". Excellent vocals with backing, how he takes you through moods in this with flirting keys and changes is amazing, "The places that I go, don't feel good anymore" fly away???..such beauty.

4. Take Me On and On 5:03. Back to a soft flow of melancholy with Lynne emphasized on his vocals. Very clean, with great backing vocals. Almost Steve Millerish.

5. Time After Time 4:03. Opening sounds like it came right off of "Time"1981. Up tempo track, different styled vocal with rhythmic drums, floating keys, then changes and synthed strings I believe. "The beauty of Earth from way up high, shines like a jewel upon the velvet sky".

6. Four Little Diamonds 4:07. "Is this on? After 4.?4!" A rock n roll ELO song, good lyrics. Some nice changes and key swirls.

7. Stranger 4:28. Great guitar and key combo when Lynne comes in and takes you into his story. I guess you could call it poppy but not something you'd here on radio, (maybe if Clapton had done it). Screw radio. A very solid piece IMO.

8. Danger Ahead 3:53 Hard guitars then keys, then drums, enter vocals, another short poppyish tune. Only redemption is the change sequence with strings and reverse vocals.

9. Letter From Spain 2:52. At 2:52 I believe this to be one of the slowest songs ever recorded lol. I do enjoy it. Great lyrics about a guy missing his girlfriend who is an Actress in Spain. Backing vocals add to the storyline.

10. Train of Gold 4:21. Choo choo choo. Jazzy harmonica with reverberated vocals very strong. Guitar pick center very nice.

11. Rock & Roll is King 3:47. The only song from this album to get air play.

Though no epic pieces on this album lest we put the 1st 2 tracks as one which still isn't epic but very nice. You get the full sense of Jeff. I enjoy this album very much, I hope you do too. 3.8

Steven Brodziak | 4/5 |