The Moody Blues - In Search of the Lost Chord CD (album) cover

IN SEARCH OF THE LOST CHORD

The Moody Blues

Mellotron Storm
3 stars A definite improvement over "Days Of Future Past" and those lame orchestral movements between tracks.Thankfully they weren't repeated here.The Gnosis site rates this as their best studio album and I have to agree.They used no less than 33 instruments in the making of this album and many of those instruments they learned to play in studio while recording this.There is a ton of mellotron on here which sounds great of course."This album was very much a product of the Psychedelic era with it's Eastern influences (sitar, tablas etc) and it's exotic variety of instruments". Great looking cover art as well.

"Departure" is a spoken word intro. "Ride My See-Saw" is a song about freedom and one of my favourite MOODY BLUES tracks. Love this song. I like the vocal melodies after 1 1/2 minutes. "Dr. Livingston, I Presume" sounds like a song off of a children's TV program. Silly stuff. "House Of Four Doors" opens with mellotron as vocals join in.This is a melancholic and laid back tune. "Legand Of A Mind" was actually a track that was composed during the "Days Of Future Past" sessions but not used.This is a top three track for me from this album. It's got that BEATLES-like flavour to it. A calm with flute before 3 minutes then it picks back up after 4 1/2 minutes then the vocals return.

"House Of Four Doors (Part 2)" opens with mellotron as vocals join in. "Voices In The Sky" is a light and mellow tune with vocals, flute and other sounds. "The Best Way To Travel" is the other top three track for me. It's just a feel good song with the focus on the lyrics and reserved vocals. "Vision Of Paradise" is pastoral with vocals. "The Actor" is more of the same reallly. "The World" is a short spoken word piece. "OM" has that Eastern vibe front and center with sitar etc.Vocal melodies before 5 minutes to the end.

I wonder if they're still searching for the chord they lost.

Mellotron Storm | 3/5 |