Yes - Time and a Word CD (album) cover

TIME AND A WORD

Frankie Flowers
3 stars This was an interesting movement for the band after their debut album. Some critics at the time thought the string arrangements on most songs were too intrusive. I'd agree that not everything worked perfectly but in many places they worked quite nicely.

Just like other reviewers, I think that Chris Squire's bass was excellent throughout. I really noticed that recently (but come to think of it, this release was no exception). Bill Bruford's drumming was also superb as usual. In fact, there were strong contributions by all including nice organ and solo guitar parts. I think "Sweet Dreams" is a cool early Yes track. "The Prophet" is one of the high points for me and my favourite moment on the album.

The amazing guitarist Steve Howe arrived just after this release and later also keyboardist Rick Wakeman, so Yes' music was to change for the better. "Time And A Word" is still a good album though and well worth checking out especially if you like the band's other works.

Frankie Flowers | 3/5 |