IQ - The Wake CD (album) cover

THE WAKE

IQ

zravkapt
Post/Math Rock Team
3 stars This is my first experience with this band. The only Neo-Prog I am familiar with is Marillion. In fact, other than IQ and Marillion, I think only Pendragon and Pallas are the only Neo bands I have read anything about. I don't own this album...didn't even borrow it. I listened to it on a streaming site. I won't mention which one because some of these streaming sites are legal in some countries but not in others.

After listening to this album, I would say I prefer IQ to Marillion. I think Marillion and Magma have something in common, let me explain. Both bands are considered the epitome of their own sub-genre, but are not necessarily the best band in their own sub-genres. If you want to get into Neo, you are automatically recommended Marillion; the same with Magma when it comes to Zeuhl. This is not a good approach I feel. Had I been exposed to IQ first, I think I may have warmed up to Neo more.

Although I found this a decent album, I'm still not going to convert to Neo anytime soon. This is obviously an '80s album with a strong Genesis influence(c. 1974-76 I would say). There is a imitation Mellotron sound here which isn't too bad. "Outer Limits" is very Genesis sounding, but is still one of the better songs here. The title track is the song I enjoyed the most. A very '80s sounding song with a good guitar solo. Maybe the lack of an overt 70s prog influence makes me like this more.

That song segues into "The Magic Roundabout", which I don't really care for. Very Gabriel sounding vocals here. "Corners" is interesting with the drum machine programming and use of sitar, but I think it's one of the weaker songs here. "Widow's Peak" is the longest song, but not too great IMO. I have to mention the drumming in the first half, which is really good. "The Thousand Days" is a mediocre '80s pop/rock song. Yuck. "Headlong" starts very Genesis-y. Later goes into a good beat with some decent synth soloing. The last two minutes or so is some nice symphonic rock.

For 1985 I guess this isn't too bad. Not sure if I will like other IQ albums as much as this. Will have to find out. For The Wake, I give 3 stars.

zravkapt | 3/5 |