Yes - Relayer CD (album) cover

RELAYER

4.36 | 2087 ratings

Phil
4 stars This album has really grown on me over time, such that, huge Rick Wakeman fan that I am,I'd rate Relayer as second only to Close to the Edge.

The album went in the direction of a sort of "electric rock" and at first I just didn't get it; early Yes relied so much on melodies and tunes to underpin complex structures but, on Gates, it's all white noise, discordant soling from Howe, wailing keyboards from Moraz who, on this album, really fitted the part. The revelation underneath it all though is Squire/White - what a supreme rhythm section, thundering away, driving the track along; then after the piece builds to a climax mirroring the violence and pain of war, the armies receed and the music fades into the beautiful "Soon".

Sound Chaser that follows is a little too frantic in places for my taste! Then comes To Be Over, Yes back at their most melodic.

Relayer suceeds, like CTTE does but in a very different way, in linking three seperate peices of music into an overall style. It has its followers, but it deserves more appreciation than it gets.

Phil | 4/5 |