OSI - Office of Strategic Influence  (Limited Edition) CD (album) cover

OFFICE OF STRATEGIC INFLUENCE (LIMITED EDITION)

OSI

Experimental/Post Metal

el_Sethro
4 stars I bought this album completely on a whim - I had heard none of the tracks, but had heard about it (that it was another one of Mike Portnoy's side-projects). I payed almost 45$ (CAN) for it, and though I don't think it was quite worth that much, I don't regret it one bit.

This album's style was quite alien to me - almost atmospheric, soft prog metal, but I loved it from the first track. the songs range from the heavier "ShutDOWN" to the softer final track, guitar-strumming "Standby". The extra disk isn't too outstanding, but there's some nice extra videos on it, and I really liked Set The Controls For The Heard Of The Sun, as well as New Mama (including dubbs from "Rambo"!). the album is physically very appealing too; they did a great job on the artwork and layout.

Though Mike Portnoy was the reason I bought the album, I did not mind that it was very unlike Dream Theater. it also got me interestd in Kevin Moore's current project, Chroma Key, as well as Porcupine Tree, now one of my favorite bands of all time.

| 4/5 |