Frank Zappa - Weasels Ripped My Flesh CD (album) cover

WEASELS RIPPED MY FLESH

Frank Zappa

RIO/Avant-Prog

Man With Hat
5 stars A quick note to begin this review: I had to redo this reveiw, becuase i have realized the injustice I performed by giving this album less then five stars.

Weasels Ripped My Flesh is Zappa at his avant-garde peak. There are many aspects to this album to appreciate: Strange noises, yelling, fractured instrumentataions, and the expectional diveristy. There are songs on this album that have nothing to do with the avant-garde field (such as My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Momma, and Oh No). All those songs, are performed flawlessly and many are Zappa classics (such as The Orange County Lumber Truck and the aforementioned songs). The weakest spot on this album for me is the blues number, Directly From My Heart To You. I've never been a blues fan, however, if you are, i see no reason why you shouldn't like that song. Stand out tracks include: Didja Get Any Onya?, Prelude To The Afternoon Of A Sexually Aroused Gas Mask, Toads Of The Short Forest, Dwarf Nebula..., Oh No, and The Orange County Lumber Truck.

All in all, this is one of Zappa strangest, strongest, and most progressive albums in his discography. All Zappa fans should hear this (although this would probably make a bad starting point). Highly Recommended.

Man With Hat | 5/5 |