Terreno Baldio - Alem Das Lendas Brasileiras  CD (album) cover

ALEM DAS LENDAS BRASILEIRAS

Terreno Baldio

kenethlevine
Prog-Folk Team
3 stars A slight and fortuitous shift has occurred from their debut album, as TERRENO BALDIO sounds far more Brazilian than before, and the herky jerky gyrations that earned them comparisons to GG actually make sense here. Still, it doesn't move me as much as it might given those endorsements.

At times I feel like I am listening to a MILTON NASCIMENTO album, especially in the fluid vocals styles of "Passaredo" and "Primavera". The jazz dance style improves on the middle of the pack pseudo-symphonics of their self titled effort. The album reaches its peak, however, when sounding a bit more unique than either of these variations, as on "Lobisomen" and especially "Curupira", where they come closest to leaving a distinct footprint all their own. Lively keyboard touches, funky but smooth vocals and syncopated bass and drums all propel the album along quite well. The rapid fire chorus of "Curupira" is particularly noteworthy, as are the lead guitar pyrotechnics that open "As Amazonas" even if the song itself cannot nearly do them justice.

While I'm not a fan per se, I find it hard to be overly critical of this authentic effort. With many of the less appealing aspects of its predecessor dispensed with and replaced by high quality and very eclectic Latin prog, "Alem.." may fall short of its titular promise, but is still good for 3 stars.

kenethlevine | 3/5 |