Laurie Anderson - Life On A String CD (album) cover

LIFE ON A STRING

Laurie Anderson

Slartibartfast
4 stars Life On A String

The title says it all. Creepy that this one should come out shortly before the 9/11/01 attacks. As much as I have enjoyed the quirkier stuff from early on, this album seems much more refined Acoustic instruments dominate the album.

One White Whale - odd opening vocal , then very peaceful.

The Island Where I Come From - takes you to the Caribbean. A bassist that worked with Allan Holdsworth, Skuli Sverrisson, is on this one. Also David Torn. They show up on other tracks.

Pieces And Parts - starts off with a spoken Laurie part. Another whale song of sorts.

Here With You - a really nice trio chamber music instrumental and really pairs well with the next track:

Slip Away - a bigger group of musicians. Vocals this time. A really poignant song about seeing someone you love dying.

My Compensation - a sarcastic little piece with a guy doing turntables and samples.

Dark Angel - so now we get an orchestra with samples. Peculiar song, though you can apply it to most of Laurie's stuff.

Broken - dark song about a couple falling apart. Back to electronics.

Washington Street - she sings about a cold rain and you can feel it.

Statue Of Liberty - another one of those spooky songs to come out near 9/11/01: "Freedom is a scary thing Not many people want it"

One Beautiful Evening - another dark piece. I think Laurie may have been the gateway drug to the Univers.

Life On A String - beautiful ending track. "But for me I'm looking for a single moment when I can slip through time.

Slartibartfast | 4/5 |