Änglagård - Hybris CD (album) cover

HYBRIS

Änglagård

Kassimatis
5 stars Viking prog!!

There is only one word needed to perfectly describe this gem of an album - beauty!

I love the folk-like melodies throughout - a unique flavour making for an enjoyably listen. An example of one of my favourites is the rise-then-fall contour melody half-way through the track "Kung Bore".

The band has captured everything that is brilliant about classic symphonic prog - beautiful melodies, engaging complex rythms, flirting between lyrical melody and dissonance.

I love the flute!! Just beautiful.

Contrasts in dynamics are used very nicely (something less available with electronic instruments, but something I enjoy very much!).

Vocals are average, but IMHO they don't take away from this album being a masterpiece.

The bonus track is great too.

Isn't the artwork amazing? Love it!

4.5 stars!