Shadow Gallery - Room V CD (album) cover

Shadow Gallery

4 stars Don't get me wrong, "Room V" is a great album. Its just that following a duo of absolute masterpieces, it doesn't live up to the very high expectations that I had after "Tyranny" and "Legacy".

It has some fantastic songs, the slow, mesmeric "Comfort Me", the excellent "Torn" and the lovely closer "Rain" (not quite an epic clocking in at 8:59). What strikes me most about "Room V" is that there are quite a few songs that sound similar. This is the first SG album that I only have in digital (as opposed to on CD), and after several plays, I still cannot identify a song from a few opening bars. I also think the string of short instrumentals from "Birth of a Daughter" though "Dark" would have made more sense as several parts of a longer composition telling the same story.

"The Archer of Ben Salem" is reminiscent of "New World Order" off "Tyranny" (even the story is a similar context) but falls short of the excellence of the latter.

In summary, a good album, but not up to the standards of "Tyranny" or "Legacy". If you're new to Shadow Gallery, don't start with this one, go for either of the previous albums.

sv_godspeed | 4/5 |