Frank Zappa - Freak Out! CD (album) cover

FREAK OUT!

Frank Zappa

RIO/Avant-Prog

Slartibartfast
4 stars Forget about The Moody Blues and King Crimson. The first prog album to come out was in 1966. Sure it is avant, but so what?

I still have a hard time believing this one came out in 1966. A double album of very weird music for its time at that. I got on the Zappa bandwagon in the late 1970's and it took me a while to give this one a try. You can't blame me. Even at that point in time he already had a huge discography and was busy pumping out more.

Personal favorite track: Trouble Every Day. Though specifically about the Watts riots it has been updated to not be dated when it was later done live. Not an album I would recommend to those who are just starting to get acquainted with Zappa's enormous catalog, but one that is worth getting around to sooner or later.

Rounding up due to its historical significance.

Slartibartfast | 4/5 |