Porcupine Tree - Deadwing CD (album) cover

DEADWING

Porcupine Tree

Jools
4 stars I was having a conversation with a friend recently, we both agreed there isn't enough "riff" based rock around anymore apart from a handful of bands. Seems the Trees are here with Deadwing to set that straight. This to me is a perfect marriage of the earlier more signature floaty, psychedelic approach of creating space and proximity and some really upfront heavy riffs. Steven Wilson is careful not to overdo the headbanging and no one song is totally dominated by aggression (Shallow the exception), it seems its only used when its immediate to lifting the song and so gives it more impact. Another thing that strikes me about this album is to my ears it is immaculately produced.

I don't suppose SW and his cohorts know there stylistic destination or are even trying to contrive one, it seems they are indulging themselves in making the music they enjoy.

Jools | 4/5 |