Aghora - Aghora CD (album) cover

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

4 stars Compared to their second album, this one is more varied, stylistically, and there is much more jazz influence. Not surprisingly (due to the presence of the two former Cynic members) this album is like a hybrid between Cynic's first record, Focus; Aghora's second album, Formless; and the two Gordian Knot albums. Although it may be argued that there is not enough jazz influence to make this album qualify as "fusion", if there is enough, then I would say that this is among the top two jazz-metal fusion albums that I've heard so far. To me, it is also one of the top progressive metal albums that I've heard, and I have heard a lot!

In terms of weaknesses, some of the vocals on the final track, Anugraha, are too musically "easy" or "pretty", and at times, the guitar riffs can be a repetitive. Some overdubs or additional layering on top of what is there could have made some songs more interesting.

dragonspirit | 4/5 |