Moongarden - Songs From The Lighthouse CD (album) cover

SONGS FROM THE LIGHTHOUSE

Moongarden

BrufordFreak
4 stars Again I must begin with my defense of this very fine but much-maligned band. To many they are too derivative or not proggy enough or whatever. To me their music is exactly what progressive rock is supposed to be: great classically or jazzically influenced songs that use modern sound and recording technologies while having the good fortune of having an eminently gifted and distinguished lead male vocalist in Simone Baldini Tosi (replacing Tonko) and know how to create very catchy melodic 'hooks'--both instrumentally and vocally.

Favorite songs are the classically tinged cello-featured "Flesh" (2:50) (9/10), the neo-prog KNIGHT AREA-like instrumental, "Sonja in Search of the Moon, Pt. 5", and the awesome epic, "The Lighthouse Song" (9:33) (9/10). The latter, with Simone's sensitive, raspy COLDPLAY vocal is probably my favorite Moongarden song (though I love "Round Midnight").

BrufordFreak | 4/5 |