Dream Theater - Octavarium CD (album) cover

OCTAVARIUM

Dream Theater

Bj-1
2 stars Dream Theater's most recent release, "Octavarium", was a disappointment to me. After great albums such as "Awake", "Scenes From a Memory" and "Train of Thought", I was expecting more of this album. The song writing is duller and overall far from Dream Theater as I know them. This album is less heavy too, with a more modern prog feel to it, but it doesn't make it any better because of that. Of course there are some good songs here. The epic title track for example is highly enjoyable, but tracks such as "The Answer Lies Within" and "I Walk Beside You" are both far from my musical taste as it gets. The rest is good, but overall not nearly as great as earlier stuff.

I wish Dream Theater better luck with their next release, and hope they return to they "Awake" era sound (which will sadly most likely not happen, but we are allowed to hope, aren't we?)

If you like Dream Theater, give this one a try, you might either love it or hate it. As for me, I'm stuck in between. Overall a good album, but nothing really special, it might grow on me even more though, I guess I just have to wait and see...

2.5/5