Charming Hostess - Punch CD (album) cover

Charming Hostess

3 stars Third Charming Hostess' album is a bit different from previous two. With bigger accent on Jewish traditional music - from klezmer to Middle Eastern - it contains some pure acoustic songs, some world fusion and some quite energetic compositions,melting post-punk and klezmer in one straightforward brew.

Band's debut was so excellent by its quirky music - same or similar components (there were much more folklore elements - from Eastern European to Latino-Spanish) were precisely combined to acoustic jewelery. On this album band openly simplifies musical structure, often to klezmer-punk or world fusion. Team of musician are almost the same, so musicianship level is hardly lower, I believe it's just a different concept.

With all my love to Jewlia Eisenberg's musical projects, I must to mention this album still being quite interesting one made a serious trend to easier accessible music, and it's hardly for good.

Obviously less successful of all three first band's release, it's still contains some interesting moments. But I would recommend Jewlia Eisenberg's solo album Trislectic (2001) even better that Punch is.

snobb | 3/5 |