IQ - The Wake CD (album) cover

THE WAKE

IQ

sussexbowler
5 stars Yeah, yeah. I've heard it all before. A 'great' Neo Prog album that turns out to be... well, not so great! Good news! This one is different...

This is the seminal sound of Neo-Prog, and nothing less.

It sets a standard by which others can be compared. It's just got the right sound and feel. Equally, this is no Marillion sound-a-like. This is the sound of Neo-Prog, post-Marillion. It's more expansive than 'Subterranea' and on a completely different level to anything that they've done since then. It's got a lovely balance, with everyone contributing throughout. One of the bonus tracks, 'Dans le parc du Chateau Noir, is a fine addition too.

I haven't heard 'Ever' yet, but what amazes me is that neither 'the Wake' or 'Subterranea', which represent for me at least the best of IQ, are featured in PA's Neo-Prog 'top twenty' albums.

In the UK, the remastered version is, for me at least, too expensive to 'try before you buy.' The download version is a fifth of the cost. In addition, there's a new live performance of 'The Wake' available as a combined CD/DVD package. This is a great opportunity to SEE and hear what should be considered an essential Neo-Prog album. It's cheap too!

sussexbowler | 5/5 |