Van Der Graaf Generator - Present CD (album) cover

PRESENT

Van Der Graaf Generator

Blacksword
3 stars The classic line up is back with another fine album. It's worthy of four stars IMO, but in trying to review with objectivity, I feel I should award three. In fairness this album will only appeal to VDGG fans. I cant see it engaging the enthusiasm of anyone who hasn't previously embraced their work.

But, I am a fan and I was delighted to hear that they have not lost their magic, or changed their formula. 'Present' benefits from modern production, whilst not losing any of the bands fine, chaotic and nostalgic charm. Hammills voice is as youthful, quirky and emotional as it ever was, and when it first touched my ears, I couldn't help but smile and get a bit of a shiver. The opener 'Every Bloody Emperor' is my joint favourite with 'Nutter Alert' Two fine VDGG songs, with memorable choruses, fine organ work from Hugh Banton and great sax work from David Jackson, infact 'Boleas Panic' is some of Jacksons best playing IMO. The improvisations on the second disc take some getting used to, even for a fan like myself, but they grow slowly on you.

A good package and a welcome return, although I would reccomend for fans only.

Blacksword | 3/5 |