Mar De Grises - Streams Inwards CD (album) cover

Mar De Grises

Experimental/Post Metal

Time Signature
4 stars This release by Chilean metal act Mar de Grises is a bit difficult to categorize, but I guess it can be described as a melancholic blend of doom and gothic metal with harsh death metal vocals.

All the tracks on this album are quit emelodic, containing elements that remind me a bit of "Mandylion"-era Gathering meets "Draconian Times"-era Paradise Lost, while other parts are more doom-metal like along the lines 2000s My Dying Bride. There is also a general melancholic feel that reminds me of the likes of Danish alt. rock / prog rock / art pop band Mew.

All in all, "Streams Inwards" is a haunting, but inspiring journey into the more melancholic aspects of gothic metal and doom metal, and I think that it's a quite interesting listen, which does require the listener to pay attention though.

I think that it will appeal to fans of doom metal and gothic metal.

Time Signature | 4/5 |