Radiohead - Hail To The Thief CD (album) cover

Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams
2 stars Radiohead was one of those bands that, when people heard I was a prog fan, they said I should check out. Well check them out I did. I'm not impressed.

I suppose that there is enough (just barely) on this album to qualify the band as crossover prog. There are unusual time signatures, exotic synthesizer sounds and noises, and a progressive approach to the music. The musicians are certainly capable of playing this style.

But then there's Thom Yorke. His style of moaning, and a weak tone on every track make the album almost unbearable to listen to. It almost makes me yearn for death metal growls. Almost. Like progressive death metal, I'd probably enjoy instrumental versions of the songs much more.

Evolver | 2/5 |