Scythe - Divorced Land  CD (album) cover

DIVORCED LAND

Scythe

Mellotron Storm
3 stars I became aware of this band when reviewing the German band T and noticed the leader of that Neo-Prog band was also involved in this other band called SCYTHE. That T record I reviewed was called "Naive" and I gave it 2 stars. No I wasn't impressed at all.This is better but I have had difficulty enjoying a lot of it.There is a definite Neo flavour to this one as well.

"Outro-A Striving After Wind" opens with laid back piano then relaxed guitar follows then synths as the sound builds. It settles back then picks back up. "Am I Really Here" has a lot of tempo and mood shifts throughout.Vocals 1 1/2 minutes in as it settles.The loud outbursts after 3 minutes are annoying.This continues a minute later as well. "Faded" is a short piece with the percussion and bass standing out. "One Stop Further" is kind of spacey as reserved vocals join in. It kicks in after 2 1/2 minutes.This is better.The vocals return unfortunately.The synths are hard to digest as well 6 minutes in. I do like the section before 10 minutes though which will come and go.

"The Weight Of The Wind" has these fast paced vocals and pulsating organ. Like a mix of GENTLE GIANT and GENESIS actually. "Access" is a short piano / drum piece with atmosphere. "Discussed" opens with synths as drums then vocals join in. Guitar and pulsating keyboards after 4 minutes. "Naivety" features mellow sounds that pulsate. "Run" and the next track are the only songs I really like. Reserved vocals and piano early but it does pick up quickly.The drums are intricate yet very active. It's intense after 4 minutes then it settles again before kicking in again. "Denied" has a strong intro with piano. Guitar then comes to the fore after a minute. Synths then lead as organ joins in.This is good. Pulsating organ 6 minutes in bringing GENESIS to mind. Piano melodies around 8 minutes then it turns heavier.The song continues to evolve. I like it !

The album ends well but that just makes it a solid 3 stars. A tough one to recommend really.

Mellotron Storm | 3/5 |