Isildurs Bane - Mind Volume 1 CD (album) cover

Isildurs Bane

2 stars Hard to categorize this effort from the Swedish band ISILDURS BANE. Essentially, experimental progressive music in the space jazz and neoclassical vein.

This album hasn't the typical prog rock melodies and forms, but it's plenty of long atmospheric soundscapes, very complex and elaborated sequences and lots of originality and experimentation. Easy to find some common points with Hungarian band AFTER CRYING, especially through the use and treatment of chamber instruments but, really, ISILDURS BANE simply sounds like ISILDURS BANE. "Mind I" doesn't admit comparisons with another prog bands from Sweden. Here, nostalgy or melancholy are replaced by space sounds, but keeping the emotive feeling.

It isn't an album for all progressive tastes (in fact, my low rate means that I don't enjoy too much this kind of music, although I recognize the musicians high skills and the courage to innovate). However, those who like to explore the jazzy, experimental and atmospheric side of prog music, will find this stuff, surely, very interesting.

Marcelo | 2/5 |