Saens - Prophet in a Statistical World CD (album) cover

PROPHET IN A STATISTICAL WORLD

Saens

Mellotron Storm
3 stars SAENS are a French band who've created a concept album of sorts here based on four books including "1984" , "Brave New World" , "This Perfect Day" and "Time Machine". I have to admit i'm not a fan of the vocals here or the male and female choirs that help out. And clocking in at 73 1/2 minutes it makes for a long listen.

"XX84" opens with some atmosphere as synths hover in the background. Vocals arrive around a minute then it picks up. A calm returns before 4 1/2 minutes then it rebuilds with some good guitar. "Suite No.2 (Prelude)" is a short piece with classical-like guitar throughout. "Lenina" features vocals and a fairly powerful sound.The tempo does change quite often on this one. Some vocal arrangements after 3 minutes I don't like. Choirs before 8 minutes then we get a mellow final minute. "Time Machine" opens with the synths rolling in followed by guitar then a beat. Vocals join in too. A calm 6 minutes in. Powerful organ before 7 1/2 minutes then it kicks in.Vocals are back at 9 minutes. A calm before 11 1/2 minutes with reserved vocals. "Forbidden Dreams" starts with atmosphere as the guitar rises up out of it before a minute.The tempo picks up before 3 minutes.The guitar reminds me of Oldfield here. Vocals before 5 minutes. "Welcome" is a short piece with vocal arrangements that do little for me.

"Statistical World" is better instrumentally but I still find the vocals poor. "I Wanna Be Free" features some passionate vocals. "Libera Me" is mostly choirs. "The Prophet" is fairly laid back with vocals. A calm before 3 1/2 minutes then it kicks back in before 5 minutes with guitar. A guitar solo 8 minutes in as well. "Revolution" kicks in before a minute. A nice heavy sound here but the vocals aren't that great. "Freedom" features choirs but also bass,drums and guitar.

Barely 3 stars really. A disappointment but i'm sure the Prog fan will find lots to like.

Mellotron Storm | 3/5 |