Yes - The Yes Album CD (album) cover

THE YES ALBUM

4.28 | 1937 ratings

Zitro
5 stars 4.6 Stars

This is my first yes album I heard, and it stands as my 3rd favorite of the yes discography. And it is definitely a masterpiece for sounding so great, so progressive, so complex, and yet ... so accessible!

Yours is no Disgrace 9.5/10 : This is an amazing opener, that should attract any curious listener. It has great hard rock riffs, good bass riffing accompanied with a beautiful melody (with terrible nonsensical lyrics), and a middle section that contains some of the best guitar solos of Steve Howe, and a great ascending organ riff. This song may feel a little long, but it is too good that it doesn't decrease the value of the song.

The Clap 7/10 : just a great acoustic guitar short piece but it feels very out of place here.

Starship Trooper 10/10 (masterpiece) : This is my favorite track from the album and one of my favorite tracks from Yes. IT has a great electric 'spacey' guitar sound in it, great melodies, an acoustic great jam, a harmony of voices after it containing also a great descending guitar riff .. until it hits the coda of a repetitive guitar riff with a great pedal used which starts growing until it explodes in a guitar solo duet.

I've seen all Good people : 7/10 : the weakest song of the album. It starts promising with a brilliant pop melody, and if the second section had ben cut, it would have gotten a 9/10. But while it draws me in after the diiddit diddit amazing chorus with a church organ riff, I think the best is yet to come .. but no ... I hear a repetetitive rock&roll jam that seems to never stop!

The venture 8/10 : it is a very enjoyable short track in which tony kate shines with the piano. the lyrics are good this time, the guitar is simple yet effective and jazzy. This song sounds like a song that was rejected from the first album.

Perpetual Change 8.5/10 : What a great finale! ... while the first minutes are not very interesting, it later contains a jazz guitar solo, and a completely original section in which all instruments play the same riff until a second guitar comes and plays a strange solo.

This should be the perfect album to show anyone who is interested in progressive rock. It is accessible yet very proggy.

My Grade : A-