Symphonic Slam - Symphonic Slam   CD (album) cover

Symphonic Slam

erik neuteboom
4 stars Many years ago I gave this album a try because of the wonderful painted album sleeve, in the vein of the usual progrock albums featuring a surrealistic/magical-realistic painting to dream away with. My first session caused mixed feelings because of the poppy atmosphere on some tracks. But gradually the music grew and grew and eventually I was delighted about the exciting mix of pop and symphonic: at some moments I trace hints from The Tubes, at other moments the music is more in the vein of "Utopia"-era Todd Rundgren. The strong point on this album is the tension in the music (from pop or art-rock to bombastic prog or electronics) and the use of fat sounding Oberheim synthesizers and a polyphonic guitar synthesizer, culminating in a very spectacular sound that often blows me away. THIS IS UNIQUE PROGRESSIVE POPROCK!!
erik neuteboom | 4/5 |