The Soft Machine - The Soft Machine CD (album) cover

The Soft Machine

Canterbury Scene

2 stars The last time I had his much fun they said I wasn't going to pull through. Honestly, I don't know why I persist with Soft Machine - I always feel let down at the end and this is no exception.

A rambling mess from beginning to end with only Robert Wyatt's drumming giving the album any semblance of direction. I usually like his paper thin vocals but here all the notes seem wrong and in the wrong sequence.

I'm clearly in the minority when over 130 people have rated this first album giving it a '4.04' total. I just feel like I'm parked diagonally in a parallel universe when listening to it. I find it irritating and noisy and tuneless. It's also quite a poor recording and sounds raw, but I can forgive them that - it was 1968 after all. Oh and that organ really grates my brain. Mike Ratledge sounds like he was wearing boxing gloves while playing it.

I guess me and Soft Machine are just a marriage made in hell where I'm destined never to like them. But by God, I've tried.

Dobermensch | 2/5 |