Dream Theater - Octavarium CD (album) cover

OCTAVARIUM

Dream Theater

Phil
3 stars I admit I'm new to Dream Theater and it was the reviews on this site - mixed as they are - that made me go out and buy a copy. I picked the latest album because hey, its not often I buy a new release.

I guess 3 stars says it all - not bad, but not great. The title track, the big prog no on the album, starts with a "Wish You Were Here" style intro, & has two great instrumental breaks in it including a very Wakeman-like moog solo,and a witty vocal section referencing a string of other music & prog numbers (suppers ready, machine messiah...); it does go on a little too long though. "Never Enough" is my favourite track, a very tight number, great riff, witty lyrics; Panic Attack has a similar feel; "Sacrificed Songs" is about 9/11 - even more poignant given events in London - but given the seriousness of the subject why do we get a light hearted Peter Gunn style ditty in the middle? I have to mention "The Answer Lies Within" which is one of the worst tracks I've heard - banal lyrics coupled with a trite tune; not prog, certainly not metal. I've simply avoided it on subsequent playings - otherwise this might get just two stars - & overall I do think the album is better than that.

Final plea please - a number of reviewers praise Dream Theater's musicianship & viruosity and not for a minute would I seek to disagree; but great musicianship on its own does not a great record make. Despite my luke warm review of this CD I suspect these guys may be pretty damn good on stage and I may just shell out my hard-earned to find out.

Phil | 3/5 |