Dies Irae - First CD (album) cover

Dies Irae

Krautrock

Dobermensch
3 stars Dies Irae (Day of Wrath), is in fact a Latin hymn from the thirteenth century. There we go, I bet not many people knew that. What? you did ... smarty pants... all of you! .

What we have here is, as other reviewers have commented, a band that sound remarkably like 'Black Sabbath' - a band I've never been keen on. However, the saving grace is the fact that there's a fair bit originality in amongst the run of the mill heavy rock numbers.

Take a look in 'YouTube' for the great video to 'Trip'. (It really is a video - whoever said 'Bohemian Rhapsody was first there is wrong!). You'll see some dodgy characters here who's faces you'd just love to punch! A great tune which is very reminiscent of Floyd circa 'Meddle' but NOT representative of the album as a whole.

Unfortunately most of the other tracks are pretty much straight rock, although the album is disturbingly catchy considering I really can't be bothered with this style of music.

Rainer Wahlmann's vocals are pretty good but derivative in their execution. The drums get pass marks too with some bloke named Andreas Cornelius giving it some serious 'welly'. But, crumbs almighty - gonna sack that harmonica! Yeeuuuch!

A real mish mash of an album that barely scrapes 3 stars. From the dreadfully bad to the dull and ordinary to the surprisingly cool within it's short 36 minute duration. It's not bad... but nothing great.

Dobermensch | 3/5 |