Captain Beefheart - Lick My Decals Off, Baby CD (album) cover

LICK MY DECALS OFF, BABY

Captain Beefheart

RIO/Avant-Prog

Dobermensch
5 stars Basically a continuation of 'Trout Mask' and equally as bonkers. 'Decals' however is far more concise (at 39 minutes), less 60's sounding, more polished and a fair bit darker in atmosphere. It's also tighter and more complex in its construction. It flows better and is easier to get into than the previous album and it's good hearing Don chortling away to himself while singing 'I Love You Big Dummy'. Poor Don...

John French's drumming is fantastic and so off kilter I'm astounded everyone else could keep time. I'm also surprised he remained on board considering he wasn't even credited on 'Trout Mask'. What on earth went on inside Don Van Vliet's damaged head?

I was lucky to get hold of the cd version of this in 1995 when it was like finding the treasure of the Sierra Madre. I still don't think it's been re-released yet which is a disgrace when you consider some of the rubbish that's reared it's ugly head again over the past few years. (No point in naming names and making a target of myself!)

Probably the peak of the Beef's recordings. Another 5 star album... damn, I must be getting soft in the head these days.

Dobermensch | 5/5 |