Robert Beriau - Falling Back To Where I Began  CD (album) cover

FALLING BACK TO WHERE I BEGAN

Robert Beriau

Evolver
Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
4 stars Once again, I must thank Robert Beriau for providing this album as a prize for the ProgArchives monthly giveaway.

This album, unlike his second release, "Selfishness: Source of War and Violence", is completely instrumental. And on this one, Beriau plays all of the instruments himself. The music is a blend of electronic, light symphonic, and even some psychedelic rock. The best comparison I can make is that it sounds like a blend of Rick Wright of Pink Floyd, with some of Brian Eno's sonic inventiveness, and a bit of Tangerine Dream mixed in. If that sounds compelling to you, come on in.

While Beriau does not show off on any of his instruments, his feel for what sounds, tones and riffs will tastefully fin into his music is nearly perfect. Each song, without straying too far from it's original theme, manages to remain interesting all the way through.

My only (minor) complaint is that on the long piece, The Cycle Of Love, the different sections don't flow naturally from one to another. It sounds like different ideas randomly spliced together. But that doesn't make it a bad song, either.

My first listen of the album came as I was driving down dark New England roads in the middle of the night. The eeriness and mystery of the songs was perfect for the setting.

Evolver | 4/5 |