KBB - Four Corner's Sky CD (album) cover

FOUR CORNER'S SKY

KBB

Mellotron Storm
4 stars Another good release from this Japanese quartet although I like the debut quite a bit more. In fact I re-listened to it ("Lost And Found") tonight just to see if it was that much better than "Four Corner's Sky". And my conclusion is that it's definitely a step up, mostly because there's more guitar and emotion in my opinion. I think i'm in the minority with this opinion by the way.

"Discontinuous Spiral" kicks in right away with violin, drums and bass, but it settles in quickly. Synths after 2 1/2 minutes then the violin returns. A calm with violin and piano after 4 minutes then bass then drums return. "Kraken's Brain Is Blasting" is much better than the opener.The violin is more intense. We do get a calm before 2 minutes that lasts about a minute but contrasts do continue. "Horobi No Kawa" opens with piano then it turns fuller just before a minute.The violin is prominant before 3 minutes. "Back Side Edge" has a nice bass intro then it all kicks into a Fusiony flavour. Love the bass, electric piano and drums after 3 minutes.Then the violin comes in and leads.

"Slave Nature" is a violin-led piece but there is some organ in this one for a change. It does settles with piano before 2 minutes then the violin leads again after 5 minutes. "I Am Not Here" is my favourite. It takes a while for it to really get going, in fact it's after 2 1/2 minutes before we get a steady melody.This is great ! It settles back after 4 1/2 minutes and after 6 minutes. In between we get some intensity. It also picks up late. "Shironiji" is mellow with piano and guitar. It does build. A calm after 4 minutes with violin and piano.

While I may prefer the debut, this album is filled with extraordinary instrumental work. If your a violin fan definitely check this out.

Mellotron Storm | 4/5 |