Birds And Buildings - Bantam to Behemoth CD (album) cover

BANTAM TO BEHEMOTH

Birds And Buildings

UMUR
4 stars Bantam To Behemoth is the debut full-length studio album by progressive rock act Birds and Buildings. The album was released in 2008 through Emkog Records. Birds and Buildings features members from Cerebus Effect and Deluge Grander.

The music on the album is a very eclectic mix of progressive rock, prog folk and jazz rock/ fusion. I hear as different acts as Gentle Giant, Frank Zappa ( 1973-75), Kaipa and Genesis in the music, but it's hard to pin down one specific influence as the music is very diverse and intriguing. The variation is great and there are both beautiful symphonic passages, mellow prog folky ones and some really challenging jazz rock/ fusion parts too. The musicianship is outstanding on the album. Keyboards, saxophone, flute and clarinet colour the music in addition to the more regular rock instrumentation of guitar, bass and drums. The music is mostly instrumental and that's probably a good idea because when the male vocals occasionally pop up they sound a bit like a drowsy John Wetton. It helps a bit when they put some psychadelic sounding effects on the vocals but still the vocals are the weak link on the album. Chronicle of the Invisible River of Stone features female vocals which unfortunately don't do much for me either. Fortunately the songs are all of high quality and the vocals don't ruin my experience even though I wish the band would have chosen a more interesting vocal style.

The production is really well sounding. It's seldom that you hear an album from 2008 with a warm and "authentic" sound like this. Great production work IMO.

Despite my complaints about the vocals, Bantam To Behemoth is an extremely impressive debut album by Birds and Buildings and I really hope to hear more from this exciting act in the future. A 3.5 - 4 star rating is deserved.

UMUR | 4/5 |