Robert Fripp - Exposure CD (album) cover

EXPOSURE

Robert Fripp

Dobermensch
2 stars Uughh! What an album... I was so looking forward to this when I bought it.

Vocal snippets talking of 'commerciality' on the first track made my buttocks clench immediately and before I knew it 'You Burn Me Up I'm A Cigarette' sung by Daryl Hall gets thing going on track two. A drearily straight rock number without any enhancing features whatsoever.

The whole thing's a real hodge-podge. 'Breathless' sounds a bit like an instrumental 'Crimson' via 'Power to Believe' but is out of place with all the shenanigans of guest singers that follow. As a big 'Crimson' fan I find this to be a bit of a shambolic mess.

Peter Hamill's blistering voice on 'Disengage' ups the ante a bit with what is clearly the best singing on the album, but things plummet again with the snorefest 'Disengage' sung again by Daryll Hall. Undoubtedly he has a nice voice, but it's a hell of a lousy song, as are all the tunes he contributes to.

"Mary' is probably the low point of the album, sung by Joanna Walton. Instantly forgettable where generic tendencies are rife. Thankfully it's over in two minutes.

Even the assistance of Eno and Peter Gabriel can't raise my spirits. One or two moments do sound like the album 'Pussyfooting', but again, it's completely out of kilter with the general feel of the album.

Uninspired straight drumming in the form of Phil Collins finds me forming a big scowl across my face. Dreadfully run of the mill and unoriginal, the only reason I'm giving this two stars is for tracks 2 & 4, which, combined, run to just over 5 minutes.

The only good thing to come out of this recording was Fripp meeting Bowie in New York for the fabulous 'Scary Monsters' the following year.

As Bowie once sang - 'A saddening bore...' Avoid unless desperately curious.

Dobermensch | 2/5 |