Magic Pie - The Suffering Joy CD (album) cover

Magic Pie

3 stars Dj Heard.

Aw man, I had higher hopes for Magic Pie. I expected more originality, more exploration. Don't get me wrong, they are good at what they're doing. I mean good. Good guitars, good vocals, good keyboards and so on. But everything here has been heard many times before: the Dream Theater time breaks and arpeggios, the Spock's Beard vocal tone and the whole Flower Kings shebang.

Nicely done, and I could say very nicely done, and some songs seem to part from the heard; so it's not entirely lost! On the other hand, I spawn a question mark for the remarkably high level of 'metal'. They stepped on the gas, to say the least.

Good, but lacks 'wow factor'.

Menswear | 3/5 |