Blow Up Hollywood - Stars End CD (album) cover

STARS END

Blow Up Hollywood

toroddfuglesteg
2 stars If my memories serves me right from the interview I did with them, this is a recording of a live session the band did where they were told just to play their instruments.

There is no real structure on this music. Stars End is a thirty seven minutes piece of improvised music in the post-rock genre. It is based on emotions and long winded drawn out melody lines. One melody line to be honest. The first twenty minutes is a reflection over a sombre melody line where there are some dynamics at the final half of this recording. The instruments are guitar played as a slide guitar, tangents, samples, cello and some vocals used as instrument. The sound is excellent though so no complaints there.

I do have complaints about this being a very pedestrian, non-event piece of music. I understand what they are trying to achieve and I respect the effort. But the result is not good so hence my lack of warmth towards this album. But perhaps post rock and emo fans will like this better than I do. Blow Up Hollywood is an excellent band and this album is only an oddity in their discography.

2 stars