The Soft Machine - BBC - Radio 1967 - 1971 CD (album) cover

BBC - RADIO 1967 - 1971

The Soft Machine

Canterbury Scene

4 stars One more Soft Machine compilation? With all my love to this excellent band, I really needed time and some researches just to decide if this double album can bring me something valuable. But now, when I know it well and really like it, I can give motivated answer - Yes.Being quite attractive album itself, this release has some really interesting material even for experienced band's fan.

First of all I need to mention, that if you (as myself) already own "The Peel Sessions", you should know that five out of ten above mentioned compilation's compositions are presented on "BBC Radio 1967-1971". It's not strange, this double album is complete BBC sessions from band's early period (there are another BBC Radio recordings compilation, covering the period of 1971-1974). If you didn't listen "The Peel Sessions" till now, you will receive huge pack of highest class live Soft Machine material from their best period.

For those who is not interested to pay for five excellent compositions they already have once again, I need to mention what else is valuable on BBC vaults first compilation. First of all, first five compositions there are unreleased before psychedelic pop songs, coming from Kevin Ayers, Ratledge and Wyatt trio from December 1967!When listen you can easily hear what the band they were just few years before their peak and how influential Ayers was to their music (some songs later were recorded on Ayers solo albums).

Then,we have there minimalistic version of Instant Pussy - this song will be released on Matching Mole album later.Second CD contains long Dean's composition Fletcher's Blemish and Eamonn Andrews/All White medley.Enough new materials to make this album attractive for real Soft Machine's fan. If you don't own "The Peel Sessions", this album is a real bomb for you!

snobb | 4/5 |