Robert Fripp - Robert Fripp / The League Of Gentlemen - God Save The King CD (album) cover

ROBERT FRIPP / THE LEAGUE OF GENTLEMEN - GOD SAVE THE KING

Robert Fripp

Dobermensch
2 stars This compiled work of Fripp's is a bit of a hodge-podge. It's a cd I hardly ever listen to probably because it's simply not very good. The 13 minute opener has some Bowie 'Scary Monsters' going on but it's not very involving in any shape or form.

All the bawdy vocal snippets which gave it it's identity from previous editions have vanished leaving a somewhat sterile release. There's a caveat emptor here - If you're hoping to replace your vinyl beware! This is not the same album as the 1981 release. I really miss the 'Groupies' backstage whining and bitching from the original. They were lifted direct from an old 60's spoken word album in which groupies discuss the hardships and travails of being groupies - amusing and painful. Maybe Fripp couldn't get copyright clearance for this cd re-issue?

The vocals of David Byrne are a welcome addition but don't really cheer me up very much when I think what should have been. It's okay, but fans of the original will be disappointed. I suppose I should be glad just to have been able to ditch my old crackly vinyl to replace it with this sparkly crackle free cd.

One for diehard fans of 'Scary monsters' guitar out takes. It's alright, but ultimately disappointing.

Dobermensch | 2/5 |