Porcupine Tree - The Sky Moves Sideways  CD (album) cover

THE SKY MOVES SIDEWAYS

Porcupine Tree

Zitro
3 stars this is an excellent album with one main flaw : It may be too slow which can make it boring at some moments. This is Porcupine tree at its most spacey and has the most pink floyd influences.

1. The sky moves sideways phase one 9/10 : Shine on you Crazy Diamond II ... well, not really, but the influences drawn from that song are obvious. This is a very enjoyable mellow track with great guitar work.

2. Dislocated day 7/10 : I like this track better live. It still is a good mean rocker with an instrumental section that allows time for solos.

3. The moon touches your shoulder 8/10 : I like the live version better because of the keyboard sounds it had. Here it is guitar dominated, the climax of the song is an electric guitar solo.

4. Prepare yourself : it is an instrumental short track used as a prelude to Moonloop

5. Moonloop 6.5/10 : If you like slow ambient spacey long jam, you may love this song if you like that kind of music, but It tends to bore me a bit. The coda is legendary though, with its lead guitar riffing.

6. The sky moves sideways phase two 8/10 : This is a strong finisher of the album, but like in Wish You Were Here, it does not come close to the brilliance of Part I of the epic. This section of the epic is heavier and not as spacy as the first half. There is excellent guitar work on this piece.

Rule of Thumb : If you like Pink Floyd's spacey music, you will like this.

My Grade : B